Monday, November 16, 2009

Where I want to go but won't, and why

There are some places that intrigue me, but I don't think I'll ever go there. In some cases, I just don't really think it'd be that fun, even though it's intriguing. Somalia would be a good example, but the intrigue is mostly because of how dangerous it is there, and wondering what it'd be like to walk down a street in Mogadishu (I'd probably be terrified, and with good reason). As it says in this quote from Wikipedia: "Years of civil unrest and uncontrolled insurgencies against Ethiopian occupation have transformed Mogadishu into one of the most dangerous and lawless cities in the world." Of course, there's really nothing to recommend about it anyway.

Then there's places that may have some tourist interest, if they weren't too dangerous. Afghanistan, with its mountainous terrain, is a prime example. Here's a photo that makes it look like a winter wonderland:



What I've found, though, is that I don't really know as much as I'd like to about the world. It's easy for me to list a few places I wouldn't go, but I wouldn't want to anyway. When I think of where I want to go, there aren't many places I can think of that I wouldn't go. An example is Mt. Ararat. I think it'd be cool to hike up the mountain where Noah's Ark supposedly came to rest. Up until 2001 or so, it was in a militarized zone and terrorists were a real threat. Is that still the case? I don't know. But with all the other places in the world I'd like to go, it seems unlikely I'll ever go there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home